Tuesday, June 9, 2009

God's bountiful harvest


I am constantly amazed at the wonder of nature...When we came to this property 10 years ago, we began planting fruit trees - a couple every year. We follow the Torah's instructions in planting trees so we didn't eat the fruit until the fifth year...

Lev 19:23 And when ye shall come into the land, and shall have planted all manner of trees for food, then ye shall count the fruit thereof as uncircumcised: three years shall it be as uncircumcised unto you: it shall not be eaten of.

Lev 19:24 But in the fourth year all the fruit thereof shall be holy to praise the LORD.

Lev 19:25 And in the fifth year shall ye eat of the fruit thereof, that it may yield unto you the increase thereof: I [am] the LORD your God.

Earlier in the season, Dennis sprayed the tree with neem oil to run off any pests or fungas that might be coming our way. The result is a beautiful, bug free, fungus free harvest of large plums. This year the tree is so full I'm wondering how to steward all the fruit!!

Today we are making jam but tomorrow I'll probably make this wonderful recipe I found at All Recipes.com. Not only can we use our plums, but wonderful ricotta we made using our goat milk!

Maple Ricotta Parfait with Almonds and Plums


INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup maple syrup, divided
6 black plums, pitted and sliced
1 1/4 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup sliced California Almonds, roasted*


DIRECTIONS
Heat butter in a saute pan. Add 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and gently stir in plum slices. Cook on medium heat just until plums are soft and giving out some juice, but still holding their shape.
Meanwhile, stir together the remaining maple syrup and ricotta. Set aside.
Divide 1/2 cup prepared plum slices among 4 clear bowls or brandy glasses. Follow with a layer of ricotta mixture, then remaining plum slices, and then the remaining ricotta mixture. Drizzle with remaining maple syrup, and sprinkle with roasted almonds.
FOOTNOTE
*To roast almonds, place a single layer on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 10 minutes, stirring at least once to ensure even roasting. Almonds will continue to brown after being removed from the oven.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love allrecipes.com! Thanks for sharing - glad you had a bountiful harvest. Great Scripture, too =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Monica,

    I have been agonizing over the mean and hateful comment I left on your blog sometime in 2009. I was angry and did not control myself and lashed out with that comment.

    Monica, I was very wrong when I did that. I am an observant Jew so for me, anger is a most dreadful sin. Anytime a Jew is angry about anything, he will fall into sin. Anger is akin to idol worship and a most horrible thing.

    I can only hope that you will find it in your heart to forgive me. I know it has been many months but I am truly sorry that I left that comment and there is no excuse, no matter what. I should have been able to rise above the physicality of the moment, but I did not.

    Again, I hope you can forgive me.

    I also ask that you publish this comment for all the world to see so that I am publicly humiliated and shamed. Shame is part of our atonement process.

    I wish you all the best in everything you do and much success with sharing the truth about how amazing soap is for teeth.

    Karen Van Cleef
    toothsoap.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This apology has been accepted. I feel very blessed that I've been able to see this side of Karen. I pray that G-d continues to bless the work of her hands and that people take note on how a real peace process works. If the world would humble themselves like this, we would have no problems at all. What an example Karen is to all of us!

    ReplyDelete